What you need to know before your sleep study
Please Note: If you can’t make it to your study please call our office as soon as possible to notify us or reschedule. Even if it’s a last minute cancelation. Your cooperation is appreciated.
If you’re scheduled for an overnight sleep study, the information below will help improve your comfort and ensure high quality sleep study performance.
Before you arrive
- SHOWER, WASH YOUR HAIR, AND PLEASE BE CLEAN SHAVEN (unless you have a beard or mustache). Don’t use lotions, oils, sprays, or hair care products.
- EAT YOUR REGULAR MEALS Avoid caffeine for 3 hours prior to your sleep study. Drink your usual amount of alcohol (if any) at the same time you normally drink it. If you consume alcohol prior to your study, please make arrangements for someone else to drive you to the Sleep Center.
Avoid these common sleep study mistakes
- DON’T WEAR TOUPEES, WIGS OR HAIR WEAVES Some of the electrodes attached during your sleep study will be attached directly to your scalp. Talk to us ahead of time if you have concerns.
- DON’T COME WITH GEL NAILS, NAIL POLISH, OR ACRYLICS (You’ll be asked to reschedule. Oxygen sensors require bare nails.)
- SPRAYS, OR HAIR CARE PRODUCTS
- DON’T NAP THE DAY OF THE STUDY
- DON’T CONSUME CAFFEINE 3 HOURS BEFORE YOUR SLEEP STUDY
- DON’T BRING YOUR OWN BEDDING No outside blankets or pillows are allowed.
- DON’T WEAR A NIGHTGOWN OR SLIPPERY MATERIAL SLEEPING ATTIRE See “What to Wear” section below.
- DON’T KEEP YOUR CELL PHONE ON ALL NIGHT Electronic devices must be turned off when your sleep study begins.
Please Note: a paste is used to attach the electrodes to your scalp and may not be completely removed without shampooing your hair.
MEN: Please bring a pair of gym shorts or pajamas.
WOMEN: Please wear two-piece, loose-fitting sleepwear, lounge shorts, or pajamas that button or zip on the front. Nylon or “slippery” material sleeping attire is not recommended.
What to Bring
- A GOVERNMENT-ISSUED PHOTO ID
- PRESCRIPTIONS & YOUR USUAL OVER-THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS Please remember prescriptions taken in the morning or before bed, and bring any non-prescription medications you may need (like Tums or Asprin). We are not permitted to dispense any of these medications to you.
- TOILETRIES Toothpaste and toothbrush, hair brush, or anything else you may need before bed or when you wake up. Inquire if your room has a private bathroom with a shower.
- SNACKS If you need a snack or drink before going to sleep, please bring it along.
What to wear
- WEAR SOMETHING COMFORTABLE Loose-fitting two-piece sleepwear is required. Lounge shorts or pants, pj’s sets, and t-shirts are all acceptable. Do not wear nylon or slippery material sleeping attire or a gown.
Info for Murfreesboro Sleep Center Location Only:
Please use the entrance located at the covered drop-off after you have parked. This is the first building entrance you see when you enter the parking lot. To the right of the doors is an intercom box.
- Press the button on the call box to call the Sleep Center.
- Someone will answer your call and release the doors for your entry.
- Take the elevator to the second floor and enter Suite 200